Does anyone modify your 1/200 models?

After receiving my first 1/200 747, I really wanted to make modifications to some parts that I felt was much needed.  The model shown is an Inflight 1/200 Continental 747-200.

Views: 339

Replies to This Discussion

From my prosperctive there ain't much to modify in general. I tried once to redesign Inflight 744 centerboard to fuselage joint which is simply afwul (ugly seams on the belly), but it was pretty unsucsessful. Putty shrinked in a few months time. So I sold it out.

It's very pity to realize that manufacturers save money on matches (like Inflight 747 which is generally brilliantly made and fits drawings however the above joint kills all the show). Therefore I came back to kit making, its cheaper and result depends of your own ability to make a model.

Excuse my offtop but manufacturers requesting pretty penny for their stuff have to pay attention on details. In 1/200 it's critical.

I agree.  I was looking at seams, but this one was put together quite well...  I have yet to find silver fanblades on a real 747, so i put what skill i have from childhood modelbuilding to use...  Plus, the model has a bit of my touch, making it a little unique from the other Continental 747 inflight models.    going to kits will definitely satisfy the most discriminating eye.  While I'm no Brad Shinn, I don't really have the time to build, so diecast made models will suit my appreciation for airplanes and collecting...  My expectations are fairly flexible, so releases from Gemini, Inflight, and the like are quite impressive. 

Inflight makes beautiful 747's, but i hate their prices...  I bought this one for less than $100, which is a bargain compared to the regular inflight prices you will find these days.

I can tell that Inflight 747 is the best available now (100% fits drawings). I hardly believe in silver fanblades on whatever aircraft, maybe only after leaving a factory. Weathering, Sir! I usually airbrush them light gunmetal (available in Tamiya cans as well). It really helps. Exhaust cones look mostly burnt iron, sometimes even light blue (when engine is running). You may use Tamiya Gun Metal can to spray them over. Looks much more realistic. 

Good job BTW, the Queen of Skies looks more alive. I also like this Cintinental livery. Real American classic.

RSS

Recent Visitors to the site!

© 2024   Created by Matt Whisenant.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

hitcounter

Avitop.com