Old 1/56 HM diecast models (1/2): SdKfz 181 PzKpfw VI Ausf E Tiger I (early production with Feifel filters)

To begin with the 1/56 unusual HM old scale, let's speak about the Ground Power Tigers I line:

I only got 3 liveries (of 4 issued) of this static models series. The Michael Wittmann's "S04" (of the Ist SS Pz Div. Leibstandarte Adolf Hitler - LSSAH) Eastern Front model (HG-0115) is missing and not easy to find now ! Here it is:

(It could probably still be found in USA in a RC version).

And here are the 3 of mine :

1)-"S33" is from the 8/2nd Sch SS Pz Div. (Schwerer SS Panzer Divizion) "Das Reich", Kursk, 1943, and wears one version of the simplified tactical unit sign, intended to mislead Soviet Intelligence. What's interesting about the vehicle's markings is a Chinese character drawn on a yellow background: it's the Chinese word  for 'blessing awaited'.

However, the character is written upside down, which provides the meaning of "blessing's arrived"?. It's a mystery why Chinese characters should appear on a German tank!

Sometimes shown as 3 tones camouflaged (Dragon Armor 1/72 60479) the HM model was issued in a 2 tones camo. Note that the Dragon 1/72 edition wears another simplified version of the "Das Reich" division tactical sign.

2)-The 3 tones camo model "black 8" is from the "independant" Tiger Gruppe "Strolch" (wanderer, vagabond) Meyer. It temporarily battled in Italy side by side with the PzJg Abt (PanzerJäger Abteilung) 46 from August to November 1943. This unit of 8 Tigers I and Panthers was "lent" to other Pz Abt. wherever the need appeared on the front line. That kind of mission is the origin of the gruppe's nickname.

The word "Strolch" is visible on the right of the hull MG.

3)-"Red 332" is from the Sch Pz Abt. 503 (-later "Feldherrnhalle", often shortened as "FHH"), Russia, 1943, and wears the typical unit markings distinguished by redundant Balkenkreuzen (Balkan crosses) on the turret. Livery is overall standard Grey, though it should have rather been overall Sand. Herunder is a photo of "332" being saved from the mud !!

(...1/56 HM models - to be followed:

http://www.modelairplanecollectors.com/group/militaryvehiclesmodels...)

Ciao, mates !

Jeff

Views: 1499

Recent Visitors to the site!

© 2024   Created by Matt Whisenant.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

hitcounter

Avitop.com