PSS JV44 (PlatzSchutzStaffel Jagdverband 44) : The « Papagei Staffel »

(or « Parrot Squadron »)...a short story of a model collector investigations...

(This article was posted at first in the March 2011 on line MAC Magazine)

General Adolf Galland, German ace pilot (more than 100 victories) of WWII, was sacked from his charge of Luftwaffe « General der Jagd Flieger » (Day Fighters) by Göring himself at the end of 1944.

Actually, Adolf Galland always said what he thought, without taking care of himself, and criticized frequently* the strategic bugs of the Luftwaffe High Command.

As Galland was considered (as well as Walter Nowotny, Michael Wittmann or Erwin Rommel) as a national hero,and therefore no dramatical coercion measures could be undertaken against him, the Luftwaffe High Command decided then to give him a front line command, hoping he dies in some combat. In February 1945, this was the JV 44 (Jagdverband = hunt group), known as the « Galland Zirkus » or the « Experten Staffel ».

This unit was composed of high skilled pilots, coming from several disbanded units, or from Galland's old war companions, chosen by himself in any case.

Its action range was the defense of the South Reich against Allied bombers formations, and specially round the regions of Salzburg, Innsbrück, Stuttgart, Ulm and München.

Equipped with the Me262, the first world operational jet fighter, this unit was based at Munich-Riem, then retreated in front of Allied incoming successively at Salzburg-Maxglan, Ainring (PlatzSchutz) and Innsbrück, to eventually surrender at the end of war.

1/72 Unimax / Force of Valor 85033 - Me262 ("white 8" from Kommando Nowotny - Walter Nowotny's own plane).

Why speaking of JV44, could you argue me ? That is the good question, I could answer (LOL).

Well, it's because I bought one day a model of FW 190 D9 from Easy Model (ready-to-show Trumpeter series) which was very strangely prepainted, so that I thought my retailer was laughing at me in a shameless way !!

In fact, I just bought a model showing a D9 of the PlatzSchutzStaffel (Airfield protection squadron) JV44, a special Staffel in charge of the JV44 Airbases defense. That's no lie: I was never aware of that particular camo before I begin to search on the web !!

Headed by Lt Heinz Sachsenberg, this squadron covered the Me262 takeoffs and landings. The undersurfaces were painted in red with white stripes, to avoid Flak  (Flugzeug Abwehr Kanonen - AA Guns) friendly shots. That's the reason why this staffel was nicknamed as the « Papagei Staffel » (or « Parrot Squadron »).

The tactics was so simple : The Doras had to fly at no more than approximatively 500 m (1600 ft) during Me 262 operations and NEVER ENGAGE ENEMY FIGHTERS, wheeling round and round above the airfield like flies to divert allied pilots attention and jam the action scene, trying to let the Me 262 go undamaged !!!

This was indeed very courageous from the German pilots involved in these stuntmen missions and who were quite naturally disposed to go and fight the attacking planes instead of being only taken as targets by diving enemy fighters!!!

But don't forget that the real targets were the 262s !!! After crossing an overwhelming AA gunfire forming a protection umbrella all around the base, allied fighters had to reach the good fire range to shoot down the german jets in takeoff or landing procedures. That's there they were the more vulnerable. At cruising altitude, the speedy Me 262s were untouchable !

There, Doras of PSS were waiting for their preys and german pilots could engage dogfight.

It is not difficult to imagine than performing a 262 shot down in these conditions was nearly impossible and ask to allied pilots more than « simple » courage... Many of them paid hard prize to try and add a jet black cross to their victories board.

Here is a small link dedicated to the JV 44 rememberance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=EDaxf4Tr9Gk

That's all, guys ! And this is to show how a collector 's model can be choosen and reveal parts of History as well as being charged with so much interesting ways of investigation, thanks to the Net and Wiki !!!

Kind regards to all

Jeff

Date Correction to this episode !!! :

*The first of his well known retorts is his answer to Göring's question (following his visit to Galland's unit JG26 « Schlageter » at St Omer, North of France, and around 40-41, approximatively at my knowledge !!! It was during the Battle of Britain with the hard RAF defense) .« Well Galland, what would you want to improve your situation ? »

« Give us Spitfires ».

Views: 1453

Reply to This

Recent Visitors to the site!

© 2024   Created by Matt Whisenant.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

hitcounter

Avitop.com