Hi, mates!

I just received my brand new Porsche Tiger I model from Dragon Armor and that's what I want to say  (more accurately: copy from Tiger I History - http://www.alanhamby.com/tiger.html ...ooops!) about it:

"German industry first began working on heavy tank designs in 1937, even though it was believed at the time that the PzKpfw III and IV would be more than adequate for the coming battles. But when the German Panzers in Russia encountered the Soviet T-34's and KV-1's in 1941 it was all too apparent that a new heavy tank was needed. Ultimately, this resulted in a specification for a 45-ton tank with an 88mm gun, heavy armor, speed and maneuverability. The Porsche firm began working on this new tank design but encountered serious complications. The Henschel firm then began working on its own model under the direction of Dr. Erwin Adlers, drawing from its previous work on heavy tank designs. The two firms were to have prototypes ready for inspection by Hitler at Rastenburg on his birthday, April 20th, 1942."* (- Both were equipped with the 88mm gun Krupp turret -). "The Porsche and Henschel tanks were put through trials and, in spite of Dr. Ferdinand Porsche's friendship with Hitler, the Henschel tank won, in large part due to its superior maneuverability."*

Above: some Pre-Tiger prototypes

Above: the looser: the Porsche prototype VK4501 (P).

The winner, the Henschel prototype VK3601.

Above, an early production batch of the winner Henschel SdKfz181 PzKpfW VI Tiger I Ausf.H (later renamed Ausf. E in 1943), . (1/72 Dragon Armor 60405).

Nevertheless Porsche's setback, around 90 VK4501 based chassis had been completed in prevision he'd won the deal and due to his relationship, were modified as fixed hull SdKfz 184 PanzerJäger Tiger (P) nicknamed "Ferdinand", after Pr Porsche's first name (later "Elefant" after improvements due to Kursk battle lessons: particularly defensive MG and tank chief cupola were added). These PzJg tanks had the 88mm heavy weapon PAK 43/2 L71 mounted. This weapon was much longer and powerful than the one installed in the Tiger I Krupp turret. The Ferdinand/Elefant was a massive 65 tons PanzerJäger and though everything else but agile, had impressive results on Soviet AFVs.

The SdKfz 184 PanzerJäger Tiger(P) Elefant (1/72 Altaya/IXO) and immediately below, the original:

Three of the remainder Tiger (P) prototypes and 2 damaged Ferdinands were transformed in BergePanzer VI (P) recuperation tanks.

The BergePanzer Tiger (P) recuperation tank (1/72 Altaya/IXO).

From the first Porsche prototypes, only one SdKfz 181 PzKpfW VI (P) saw action on the Eastern front in Galicia (south-eastern territories of the first Polish Republic, not to be confused with the NW Spanish province), from early to mid 1944, with the Schwerer Panzer Jäger Abteilung 653 as Pz.Bef.Wg.(Panzer Befehls Wagen - Armored Command Car) alongside Ferdinand/Elefant PzJgs.

This special and unique tank bore id code "003" (3rd tank of the Abteilung Stab) and was commanded by Haupt. Grillenberg. And here is the "looser" (though lucky, as the Ferdinand/Elefant Pz Jägern left their tracks in History) which could have been the Tiger I (Alas, the Dragon model lacks the Zimmerit rendering...):

The SdKfz 181 Pz.Bef.Wg. VI Tiger (P) (1/72 Dragon Armor 60491) and hereunder: the real one, turret facing rearwards. 

Below: another view of this tank, on a railway platform with turret still facing rearwards (and clearly showing the Zimmerit coating), preceding a PzKpfw V Panther Ausf D hull (combined with a Pz IV turret? In fact, yes! The lone Berge-Panther mit Aufgesetztern Pz.Kpfw.IV Turm Als Befehlspanzer. One of the  Hybrid Specialities of the s. PzJg. Abt. 653!!!):

Other views and drawings of this special tank:

* sources: Tiger I History: http://www.alanhamby.com/tiger.html

And that's all for this model, folks!

Take care all!

Jeff

Views: 4871

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

A very interesting article Jeff. The Tiger was an impressive tank.

Waiting for an article on the King Tiger...

RSS

Recent Visitors to the site!

© 2024   Created by Matt Whisenant.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

hitcounter

Avitop.com